Call for Workshops
Wisconsin Wetlands Association invites you to submit a proposal for a Workshop at our 2023 Wetland Science Conference, to be held February 21-23, 2023.
Workshops offer opportunities for participants to learn and apply new skills and methodologies. All workshops should advance knowledge-building on topics related to wetland science, management, and communications. Workshop organizers will be responsible for recruiting instructors and facilitators for their session.
We are planning for an in-person conference, so we seek proposals for in-person workshops. Workshop length and timing within the conference week is flexible. If you have a workshop that you are interested in hosting but have questions, or if you are interested in hosting a workshop virtually, please contact Katie Beilfuss, WWA Outreach Programs Director, at 608-250-9971 x3 or Katie.firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your ideas.
Proposal Deadline: October 17, 2022
Suggestions for workshop topics
- Wetland community, plant, or wildlife identification
- Techniques for effectively communicating wetland science to non-science audiences
- Demonstration of new tool/product of interest to wetland professionals (e.g., drones for surveys and management assessment; hardware/software for field data collection and management; products for protecting wetlands from damage during construction)
How to apply
Proposals are due October 17, 2022.
The form asks you to provide following information:
- Workshop title & description
- Instructor(s) name & contact info
- How long (in minutes) do you want your Workshop to last?
- Special scheduling considerations (e.g. sessions your Workshop could not be concurrent with)?
- Minimum and Maximum # of participants
- Funding needs (e.g., instructor stipend, instructor registration fees, supplies, catering)
- What is your preferred timing for your Workshop (Tuesday PM, Wednesday AM, Wednesday PM, Thursday AM, or Thursday PM)
- If public health conditions require WWA to pivot and host an all-virtual conference, are you willing to host the Workshop virtually
All workshops must have a lead organizer who serves as the primary point of contact. This person should be readily available by email in the months leading up to the conference and is expected to be present at the workshop. Organizers are responsible for ensuring that all instructors/facilitators taking part in their workshop register for the conference before the deadline for registration (noon on February 10, 2023). Reduced early bird rates are available through January 20, 2023.
Evaluation process and criteria
Proposals will be evaluated by members of the Conference Advisory Panel based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to conference vision/topics and attendees
- Potential to bring in participants to the conference from different audiences
- Overall quality of the submission
- Provides a hands-on, collaborative, and/or active learning environment for attendees
WWA will provide the physical room space and basic audio-visual equipment (projector, screen, mic, podium). If instructors have direct costs for putting on your workshop (including instructor conference registration, travel, supplies, catering, special AV equipment), WWA can cover these costs by charging a small fee to anyone registering for the workshop if we know about these costs in advance. We strive to keep workshop fees low so cost does not pose a barrier to participation.